The Central Adirondack Art show is a long-standing Old Forge tradition, showcasing some of the finest artists from throughout the Central Adirondack Region and beyond. Held for the first time in 1952, by View founder Miriam Kashiwa in her front yard, the Central Adirondack Art Show is a testament to the significant place the arts hold within the hearts and minds of the residents and visitors to the Adirondacks. The exhibition is open to all artists, age 16 and up working in any media (except sound, video and film).
Awards Judge: Tim Ames
“I want my subject matter to resonate with color and light to achieve an energetic, vibrant, dramatic painting, and hope to inspire those
who see my work to look at the world around them and discover charm in unexpected, as well as familiar, places.”
I was in my 50’s before I became enthralled with painting, and have been on a quest for improvement for over 20 years. I have had no formal training, but to say that I am “self” taught is a bit of a stretch, since, over the years, I have accumulated and digested a massive library of art books by many of the best artists and instructors available. My journey, so far, has resulted in a preference for acrylics as my medium and a Representational style that could be defined as a combination of Realism and Impressionism. As a landscape painter, I am drawn to the beauty that surrounds us and have specialized in showcasing the picturesque allure of upstate New York, in addition to the vibrant attraction that is Cape Cod. I am often asked who my favorite artist is, and it’s a tough question to answer, since so many, both old and new, are inspirational. However, I do have a favorite... Modern Master, Richard Schmid. His body of work (landscape, portrait and still life) has a vibrancy and excitement that is unparalleled. My work has won over 60 awards in local and Statewide shows as well as National and International competitions, including 5 Best of Show and 13 First Place Awards.
Judging the CADK show is a daunting experience. I know how tough the competition is since I have been an enthusiastic participant for many years (even won a few awards) and am aware of the outstanding quality of work represented by the members.
• This exhibition is open to living artists age 16 and up who are either members of View or reside within 200 miles.
• An entry fee of $20/$15 for View Members allows artists to submit one work for exhibition.
• The exhibition is open to all media, except video, and sound.
• All works must be of original design and execution and created within the past 2 years.
• Artworks may not exceed 48” in any dimension or weigh over 100 pounds (unless prior arrangements are made).
• 2-dimensional work must be appropriately framed with a wire and ready for hanging. No saw tooth hangers please.
• All work must be priced or valued for insurance purposes.
• View retains a 35% commission on all entries sold.
• Artwork will be insured by View for the duration of the exhibition.
• All submitted works may be used by View to publicize the exhibition or facility.
• Artwork unclaimed by July 1st, 2020 will become the property of View.
• Work must remain on display for the duration of the exhibition.
• Works may be hand delivered 11am - 3pm: Thursday March 26th or Friday March 27th, 2020.
• View is unable to store packing materials. All materials used in the delivery of artwork must be removed from the premises once the work has been delivered.
• View is also able to receive shipped work.
• All shipped works must arrive no later than: Friday, March 20th, 2020.
• All shipping is at the expense of the artist.
• There will be a $10 handling fee for each package shipped to View. The handling fee covers condition reporting and photographing of the works as it arrives, and follow up conditioning and repacking at the conclusion of the exhibition.
• You must include a prepaid shipping label for the return of the work.
• Please send check with entry fee or pay online during preregistration (Checks payable to View)
Send shipped work to:
Attn: Heather Caufield
3273 St. Rt. 28
Old Forge, NY 13420
• The exhibition closes on Sunday, May 31st, 2020 at 4pm.
• Pick up is Monday, June 1st from 10am - 4pm.
Click on the following to download the 2020 Central Adirondack Prospectus and Entry Form: 2020-CADK-Prospectus.pdf
Preregistrations begins Friday, January 31st, 2020.