Entry Deadline: Extended to August 21st
View seeks quilts of all makes and styles for the annual Quilts Unlimited Exhibit. Now in its 30th year, and the 3rd year that it is judged for both selection and awards, Quilts Unlimited is an exhibition that demonstrates the depth and breadth of the quilting art form.
Juror of Selection: Nancy Mirman
Nancy Mirman of Somers NY signed up for an 8-week beginning quilt class in 1984 and was immediately hooked on quilting. Her quilting journey has included working and teaching in a quilt shop for almost 20 years, developing her own line of wearable art patterns which are sold nationally and internationally, and gradually growing form quilter to quilt artist to fiber artist. She is an active member of Northern Star Quilter's Guild, FiberArt Northeast and SAQA. Nancy's quilts, both traditional bed quilts and original art quilts, have won many ribbons and have been featured in magazines. While most of her current works are original fiber art quilts, with six grandchildren, making bed quilts is still a joyful endeavor.
Juror of Awards: Renee Fleuranges Valdes
Renee Fleuranges Valdes didn't try quilting until 1999, and never in her wildest dreams did she thing this would turn into an insatiable passion. Her favorite part of the process is the free motion quilting. While her focus for the past few years has been on art quilts, she started out making traditional quilts, and had a genuine love for paper-pieced quilts. Her quilts have been shown across the United States, in quilts shows and art galleries, and she has won numerous quilting awards. Renee does commission work, machine quilts for friends and sells much of her work. Her original quilts can be found in many private collections. She has been teaching for a number of years and has recently began teaching her original designs and techniques on a national level. Renee believes her participation in quilting retreats, conferences, classes and forums helps to keep her ideas and techniques fresh and relevant. As she states, Inspiration is everywhere! Renee studied Biology and Computer Science at Utica College, Syracuse University, graduating with a Bachelors of Science degree, and a minor in Education. Professionally, she has 36 years in the computer software industry at IBM, where she has held many different positions, both locally and globally. Renee isa member of several quilt guilds and fiber art groups, and mentors high school girls interested in STEM fields via Her Honor Mentoring. She resides in Mount Vernon, NY, with her husband, Robert, who loves the accompany her as she travels for quilting.
Through the generous donation of our supporters View was able to offer the following awards in 2016, totaling over $2000 in awards.
- Best in Show: $500
- Art Quilt First Place: $250
- Art Quilt Second Place: $100
- Art Quilt Third Place: $50
- Bed Quilt First Place: $250
- Bed Quilt Second Place: $100
- Bed Quilt Third Place: $50
- Wall Quilt First Place: $250
- Wall Quilts Second Place: $100
- Wall Quilt Third Place: $50
- Best Traditional Quilt: $100
- The Silver Needle Award for Best Exceptional Hand: $100
- Quilting in Memory of Cell Buckley: $100
- Best Adirondack Themed Award: $100
- Judges Choice: $100
- Best Use of Color: $100
- People's Choice Award: $100
- The exhibition is open to all quilters working in Art, Bed or Wall quilts.
- All submissions must contain 3 layers and quilting.
- For each work entered please include:
- category(Art, Bed, Wall)
- original or pattern
- source of design
- primary techniques
- quilted by
- dimensions (length by width for 2d work)
- price (if the work is not for sale, NFS)
- a high resolution digital image of your work in Jpeg format (300 dpi, 7" on the long side, CMYK color space)
- Kit quilts and hand tied quilts are not eligible.
- Quilts shown previously at View are not eligible.
- Bed Quilt: Design to be used as a bed quilt, measuring at least 61”x61”.
- Wall Quilt: Smaller than a bed quilt and design to be hung on the wall, measuring 60”x60” or less.
- Art Quilt: Original design, reflecting innovative construction and design techniques, theme subject matter and/or materials. Quilt materials and techniques must be primarily fabric.
A non-refundable entry fee of $20.00/$15.00 for members of View enables the quilter to submit up to 2 works.
- View reserves the right to utilize all images submitted to Quilts Unlimited in promotion of the exhibition and for the general promotion of View.
- View may rescind the right of hanging any work unsuitably presented or misrepresented.
- Selection notification will be sent by September 5, 2017.
- Selected quilts must be received at View no later than October 2, 2017.
- View will retain a 35% Commission on all works sold.
- Selected artwork must be suitably prepared for exhibition and must include the following:
- A 4” sleeve sewn on the upper back of the quilt. Please leave a 1” space between the side edge of the sleeve.
- A cloth label with quilter’s name and quilt title sewn to the back lower left hand corner of the quilt for identification purposes.
- Work may be either hand delivered (no fee) or shipped (see below) to View.
- All shipping is at the expense of the artist. There will be a $10 handling fee for each package shipped to View. The handling fee covers condition reporting and photographing of the work as it arrives, and follow up conditioning and repacking at the conclusion of the exhibition. You must include a prepaid shipping label for the return of the work. Accepted artists will receive detailed information regarding shipping and handling requirements.
All submissions should adhere to following image requirements
- File type: Jpeg
- Resolution: 300dpi or higher
- Image Size: 7" on the long side
- Color Space: CMYK
- Deadline for submission: Extended
- Notification of acceptance: September 05, 2017
- Work to be received at View by: October 02, 2017
- Judging of Awards: October 12, 2017
- Notification of Awards: October 13, 2017
- Opening Day Ceremonies: October 13, 2015, 5pm-7pm
- Exhibition Closes: November 12, 2017
If you need assistance with your images, please feel free to contact Curatorial Assistant Heather Caufield at email@example.com.