2019 Northeast National Pastel Exhibition
June 22 - July 28, 2019
Submission Deadline: April 12, 2019
View welcomes the return the Northeast National Pastel Exhibition. The exhibition celebrates one of our most accessible and loved media-- the art of pastel—made by artists across the nation.
Pastels, pigmented sticks or crayons to apply color to a substrate, originated in the 15th century. In the 18th century, pastels were popularly used for portrait painting. James Abbott McNeill Whistler and Mary Cassatt used pastels to great painterly effect in the late 1880s to create evocative landscapes and intimate moments. The Society of Painters in Pastel was founded in 1883 in New York; the medium became popular across the country by the early 1900s.
All submissions must be made through OnlineJuriedShows.com
View is a premier multi-arts facility located in the Central Adirondacks of New York State. www.viewarts.org
For any questions regarding the exhibition please contact
Director of Visual Arts & Exhibitions
PO Box 1144
3273 State Route 28
Old Forge, NY 13420
315 369 6411 ext 206
Juror of Selection: Jodie Kain
Jodie Kain’s first studio experience was in Robert Beverly Hale’s anatomy class at the Art Students League of New York. This experience set the base of her artistic approach: an emphasis on strict anatomical modeling and other elements of the classical method. Building on this academic tradition Jodie studied under photorealist Rob Neffson. Later the opportunity to live in London and attend The Heatherley School of Fine Art arose. This training was supplemented by figure study classes at several artist’s studios. After a career in high-end graphics systems, the Bargue & Cast curriculum at the Academy of Realist Art in Boston refreshed Jodie’s passion for realist painting. Jodie works exclusively in pastels, as it provides a tactile experience that deepens her connection to the subject. In her Boston studio, she focuses on the quiet reflective moments in life. Her paintings vibrate with emotion, set within a rhythmic world.
Jodie’s work has been recognized in a series of regional and national exhibits. Two of the most prominent have been The Guild of Boston Artists 2017 & 2018 Regional Juried Exhibitions. Among the awards Jodie has been honored to receive, two were from the 2018 Northeast National Pastel Exhibition, one of which was Second Place.
Juror of Awards: Ingrid Van Slyke, PSA, IAPS, NAWA
Ingrid exhibits her work nationally and throughout the Northeast. Her pastel works have earned her numerous awards and honors. Including the Cape Cod award given at the Pastel Society of America exhibition in New York City. She is a Signature member of the Pastel Society of America, Adirondack Pastel Society, International Association of Pastel Societies and the National Association of Women Artists. Ingrid teaches pastel and painting workshops . She is represented at Gallery 46 in Lake Placid N.Y.
Through the generous donation of our supporters, View and the Northeast National Pastel Exhibition is able to offer awards and prizes ranging from $100 - $1,000.
- All works must be comprised of pastel.
- Collage and prints are not eligible.
- All entries must be of original design and personal execution created within the past 2 years.
- Artwork previously shown at View is not eligible.
A non-refundable entry fee of $40/ $30 for members of View enables the artist to submit up to 2 works. Each artist may submit a total of 5 works at a cost of an additional $10 per image. Only one work per artist will be selected for exhibition. Payment should be made at www.OnlineJuriedShows.com.
- All works must be of original design and copyright of the artist.
- View reserves the right to utilize all images submitted to the Northeast National Pastel Exhibition in promotion of the exhibition and for the general promotion of View.
- View may rescind the right of hanging any work unsuitably presented or misrepresented.
- Selection notification will be sent by May 3, 2019
- Selected artwork must be received at View no later than May 24, 2019
- View will retain a 35% Commission on all works sold.
- Selected artwork must be suitably framed and ready for installation
- All shipping is at the expense of the artist. There will be a $10 handling fee for each package shipped to View. The handling fee covers condition reporting and photographing of the work as it arrives, and follow up conditioning and repacking at the conclusion of the exhibition. You must include a prepaid shipping label for the return of the work. Accepted artists will receive detailed information regarding shipping and handling requirements.
Deadline for submission: April 12, 2019
Notification of acceptance: May 3, 2019
Work to be received at View by: May 24, 2019
Notification of Awards: June 7, 2019
Opening Reception and Awards Ceremony: June 21, 2019 5-7pm
Exhibition Closes: July 28, 2019
Pick Up: July 29 – August 2, 2019
Entering your Images
You can enter your images online at www.OnlineJuriedShows.com
Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx
For best results, make sure your image is 1920 pixels @72 dpi on the longest side. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space.
If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 949‐287‐8645.