Director of Visual Arts and Exhibitions
View, the Arts Guild of Old Forge, is now accepting applications for the position Director of Visual Arts. The Director is responsible for establishing the creative direction and display for all aspects of exhibits and gallery shows, including choosing themes, jurors and artists for View exhibitions and communicating the significance of exhibitions to View’s visitors. The Director is also the caretaker of all art in the building and on View grounds. Working closely with the Executive Director, staff, and the arts advisory committee the Director will develop an artistic direction for View exhibits, generate marketing ideas for gallery exhibits, support fundraising activities and execute all aspects of gallery management.
- Plan and execute all aspects of gallery exhibitions and installations including catalog development, mounting and labeling shows, recruiting and managing the Visual Arts Committee to provide advice on selecting jurors and event volunteers, developing activities and presentations related to exhibitions and installations.
- Oversee all aspects of gallery operations including management of art display, storage of materials, arranging for insurance for objects on loan or for exhibitions, supervise shipping and receiving of art and exhibition materials, working with executive director to manage contracts and budget, provide supervision of interns assigned to area.
- Work with Workshop Education and Performing Arts Departments to develop programs and activities to collaborate with gallery exhibitions and installations, recruit qualified volunteers and artists to serve on View Visual Arts Committee, organize meetings to review portfolio proposals related to gallery exhibitions and presentations, develop appropriate survey or feedback mechanisms to evaluate successes of exhibitions.
- Work with View management to plan and schedule receptions for exhibit openings/closings, confer with staff and management to organize reception details including refreshments, entertainment, decorations, and the collection fees, if any.
- Oversee specific events as assigned including the annual Plein Air summer event and art auction, coordinate thematic shows and exhibitions with related Adirondack schools and organizations, and attend meetings, conferences and civic events that promote View.
- Manage in collaboration with all departments at View the Adirondacks National Exhibition of American Watercolors, the premiere event for VIEW.
Qualifications: BFA or BS in art history, museum studies or related field minimum, MFA preferred. Three to five years experience working in a gallery, museum or similar non-profit arts organization. Experience planning, installing and managing art exhibitions and knowledge of art exhibition standards/ best practices is essential. We seek an individual with excellent interpersonal skills who is able to quickly establish a rapport and maintain effective relationships with donors, colleagues, volunteers, members and the art community. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a strong work ethic and attention to detail are important. The ideal candidate will be a team player, highly organized and able to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Willingness to work flexible hours and manage deadlines is a must.
Secondary Qualifications: Knowledge of gallery marketing and branding, interactive display technology related to galleries, and grant acquisition/ fundraising are desirable supplementary qualifications.
Experience using collections management databases and software. Ability to lift and maneuver objects up to 30 lbs. General understanding of information technology applicable to online tools, networked applications, and social media are important. We seek an individual with a good general knowledge of art history, but also interested in looking into new areas of visual arts.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter of application, three references and a vita online to:
View, the Arts Guild of Old Forge at: www.viewarts.org/about/employment